If you'd have asked me twenty years ago, what I would be excited about in my future, celebrating poop would not have been on that list... not even at the bottom. But, here I am, at age forty-two, celebrating my two year old son's first and second successful attempts at going potty. After lots of "high-fives" and a hug, I pondered on the direction that my life has taken.
I had many delusions of grandeur, but celebrating poo was not even a consideration. But now, with two kids in diapers, getting one of them to poop in the potty is just one step closer to finding my sanity, which packed up and left a while ago. I don't know when my sanity actually left, I was probably changing diapers and didn't notice (because when one needs a change, the other one has to have one too.)
I'm hoping that the celebrations will get considerably more interesting and desirable than poop, as my children get older.
But I'm not expecting anything too amazing anytime soon. One thing that having children has taught me is patience (or the fact that I have none.) But that's another story.
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Writing prompt by Mama Kat
The prompt I chose was to write a post in twelve lines,
so I chose a poem and this is what came of it.
- One, two, buckle my shoe
- Three, four, there’s a knock at the door
- Five, six, time for treats and tricks
- Seven, eight, I've put on more weight
- Nine, ten, I see a ghost, a witch, and a Barbie and Ken
- Eleven, twelve, too many decorations to put up and then shelve
- Thirteen, fourteen, too many thoughts in my bean
- Fifteen, sixteen, a whole house to clean
- Seventeen, eighteen, where’s my caffeine?
- Nineteen, twenty, next is Thanksgiving with food a-plenty
- Twenty-one, twenty-two, then Christmas and Santa and reindeer too
- Twenty-three, twenty-four, I can’t take any more
Monday, October 22, 2012
I've been looking at a lot of writing and photo prompts lately and have been inspired to make one of my own. I'd like to say that I'm going to make this a regular thing, but I know myself better than that. So, for now, here's a prompt that will hopefully inspire you. If it does, please let me know. I'd like to know if I've helped anyone with a creative block. If I get enough kudos, who knows, it may actually get me inspired to make more.
Friday, October 19, 2012
Writing prompt by Mama Kat
My Sanity, for one thing. I don't know what I was thinking... potty training a two year old in the throws of Terrible-Two-Tantrums while also having a newborn. I mean seriously... at my age?! 42, I'm 42 years old. I loved my 30's, but my 40's aren't treating me so lovingly. Although, it might be the little munchkins that I'm raising. Of course, it was my hubby's bright idea to start potty training this early, but he's at work all the time, so it doesn't really affect him at all. I, on the other hand, am worn thin... having to take Bugaboo to go "pee pee" every freakin' five minutes. But I digress......
What else is broken? Gee, around here, what isn't broken is the question. It'd take a lot less time to list!
- The kitchen sink & counters need re-tiled (we have a new set, we just haven't had the time to install them yet.)
- The wood flooring in the living room was never finished, (thanks to a wonderful EX of mine... did ya catch the sarcasm? I never should have let him tear up my carpeting, but that's another story) the edges were never evened out and it wasn't installed properly in the first place. I wish I had my carpeting back!
- The fridge seems to be on the fritz, I don't know what it is, but we just can't seem to keep produce in there. Everything else is fine, but veggies and fruit seem to go bad awfully quick in there.
- The dryer is on it's last legs.
- The roof is in a desperate state.
- The garbage disposal has a loose blade, so it makes a horrible sound when you turn it on.
- The pantry door fell off (it wasn't the right size for the pantry anyway, someone didn't know how to measure when they were building this house.)
- My patience.
- The camel's back.
As far as the house goes, it's mostly because whoever built this house took a lot of short-cuts and I honestly don't know how it passed code. Add in the fact that it's a "starter home" and we're anything but "starters" since we've got a family of five, we've got too much stuff and not enough time to go through it all to weed out the crap, and we've got a two year old who gets into everything, and you've got a recipe for How to Wear Out a House.
|No, this isn't actually my house & fridge. It's a|
photo I took of an old run-down house a few
years ago, but it fit the post, so I thought I'd share.
Tomorrow, October 20th, 2012 is
Twitter hash tags: #WhatIWrite & #dayonwriting
What do I write, you ask? I write fiction... SciFi / Fantasy genre... I love Medieval stories, but I also love science fiction as well. Star Wars, Camelot, Star Trek, Fairies, Dragons, Knights, Battlestar Gallactica, etc. I also tinker with a little poetry once in a while when the mood strikes, such as my latest little bit of writing over here (I just realized that I hadn't actually done anything with my Tumblr account, so I wrote a poem.)
So, what do YOU write?