Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Project 365



I know, I haven't posted anything in quite a while.  The holidays and NaNoWriMo did me in.  Where did the time go?!  It's already the second day of 2013 and the evening, no less, and I'm just now finally posting.

But I digress... The main topic of this post is:


I've come up with a terrific year of projects for myself.  Feel free to join along if you would like.  I'm actually going to try to do two different "Project 365"s, but the first one is the most important.... Project 365 = Clean House!  This is no little thing either.  Our house is a disaster.  There's too much stuff and not enough storage/shelf/closet space to put even half of it.  So, I have decided to start doing One Task Per Day for 365 days.

I know I didn't post yesterday, but I did do my task for the day.  I cleaned the edges of the kitchen floor and the front of all the big appliances (dishwasher, stove & fridge including the grate along the bottom front of the fridge.)  Let me just say that whoever designed that stupid grate deserves to be drawn and quartered... slowly.  How on earth are you supposed to clean in those little thin slits in that thing?!  UGH!  Well, I did it, but it took me forever.  And it's certainly not the best job, but the top, bottom, and front view-able sides are all good.  The back, unseen side is definitely way cleaner than it was, but there were some deep corners I couldn't get.  Ah well, c'est la vie.

Anyway, yesterday, January 1st, that was my project.  It actually wasn't the originally intended project.  I was going to do birthday cards for the month.  Well, then I just ended up doing the cleaning and decided to move the projects around.  That's one thing about this P365... it's flexible.  If I want, I can swap tasks around, just so long as I do one of them every day.  I've made a list and keep adding to it as I find things around the house that need to be done.

The goal is to do one task per day, each task should be able to be accomplished in one day (although I might allow for a few two-day projects, so long as quite a bit is done each day) and I need to post about it.  That's basically it.  Very simple, yet very daunting when I look around the house.  But that's the key to this project. One "little" task a day and by the end of the year, all the big stuff should have been taken care of in bits and pieces.  It's a way to take on the really big stuff without becoming too overwhelmed.  For example; our two car garage is overflowing with junk. There's barely room to walk to the washer and dryer and certainly no room at all for any vehicles.  But if I have a bunch of smaller tasks, one little one each day, I should be able to make quite a dent in the garage by the end of the year.  Same with the rest of the house.  I get so overwhelmed that it gets to be too much, so instead, I do nothing because it's just too emotionally draining to even think about "doing it all."

But now, instead, I'm just doing a little piece of the puzzle.  Much easier to deal with and still feel good about.

So, for today, January 2nd, I did Visiting Teaching cards.  I missed the mailman today, but I still got them prepared, so that counts in my book.  Tomorrow's task may change, but I'll be sure to post about it.  Whether or not I actually post every single day, well... that's another story.  I's a lofty goal and I'm going to try to post as often as I can and as close to every day as I can, but I'm more concerned about actually doing the tasks on my list than I am about logging it on the web.  I have my planner and that's keeping me on track so far.  And let's face it, posting every day for me?  Well, I already missed the first day of the year, so I don't think that's a good sign for that particular idea.

I'd love to also do a Photo A Day for 365 days and so far I've done that as well (gee, all two days of the year so far, big deal, let's see how I'm doing in a month!) and I plan on posting those pics weekly.

So, here goes nothin'!  I'm really looking forward to 2013 and the wonders that it will bring into my life and the lives of my family.

Happy New Year, Everyone!  What are your goals for 2013?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me bring The Saratov Approach around the world!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...