Tuesday, May 10, 2011

GRANNY BLOWS AWAY YOUNG MOM… LEAVES SCENE

Ok, so I’m young, but I’m not that young, I’m 41, but I am a mom of an 8 month old.  And granted, I could have taken her… No, really, I could have.  I drive a V-6 and she was in a Corolla…. a C-O-R-O-L-L-A!  But honestly I wasn’t actually trying.  I'm not the dragster type.  Here’s what happened…

I pulled up to a red light, all the way, and to my right was a cute little old lady.  White hair, tiny, (she was one of the thin grannys.  You either have a fat granny or a thin granny… they’re all cute in their own way, but there’s no middle ground when it comes to official granny status… but I digress…)  she had her hands at 10 and 2 and was barely able to look over the steering wheel.  I should note that she didn't have her car pulled up all the way either.  She was almost a full car length behind the white line.

Suddenly, the light turned green and she was off in a flash!  She pulled ahead of me like I was standing still.  I got up to the speed limit fairly quickly, but she was gone… just cruising like she’s the only one on the road in her cute little white Corolla.

I was blown away. 

Strangely enough, the other day I pulled up to a red light and a very young couple were on my left in a pick up truck.  They had been speeding up and slowing down all the way up to the light.  Then when we were stopped, they decided to rev their engine, taunting me to race them at the green light.  Now honestly, I don't think I look like the dragster type either.  Granted, I don't look my age, but I'm in a mini-van that has it's fair share of rust.  The engine's still good and I probably could have given them a good run for their money, but still.... what was going through their minds?  "Hey, look, a soccer-mom in a mini-van!  Let's race her!"  Not exactly what I'd expect.  When I was younger and actually did race at red lights, I didn't usually pick the ones who looked like.... well,... like I do now.  I generally chose younger people with really nice cars.  Certainly not mini-vans!

I tried to ignore them and just sang away at my song.  At the green light, they took off and left me way behind. 

Again, I was blown away. 

So, where does that leave me?  Out-done by both Granny and a couple who were young enough to be my own kids! 

Middle-age.... hmmmm..... No wonder people have "Mid-life Crises"  It's because they're trying to figure out where they fit in.  I know I'm starting to wonder.  Too old to be young and too young to be old.  Never thought I'd actually make it to "Middle-Age" and now that I'm here, I find myself questioning a lot.... wanting to still do a lot.... unable to do as much as I used to.... wishing and wondering....

Yet, I look at my baby as he sleeps in his daddy's arms right now and I know I'm where I'm supposed to be....

Totally blown away.


Fun at the water park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me bring The Saratov Approach around the world!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...