Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday Woe...

Well, I've certainly messed up my "posting everyday" goal.  The last couple days have been nuts.  At times when I find myself totally overwhelmed, I'm reminded of the poem about the days of the week, but can only remember "Wednesday's child is full of woe" because that's the day of the week I was born on.  So I looked it up and found it here.

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child born on the Sabbath Day,
Is fair and wise and good and gay.
I was glad to see a better meaning for Wednesday's child.

Wednesday - the fourth day of the week, Woden (Odin), chief god of Norse mythology, who was often called the All Father. "Wednesday's child is full of woe." Odin's responsibilities were such that he was never attributed with any cheerful disposition.

"Woe" as used in the English language today is an expression of grief, regret, distress, etc. (Every dictionary, take your pick, uses those words to describe the word "woe".) In the 17th and 18th centuries, it was more an expression of deep concern, and heavy responsibilities, and it has been suggested that "woebegone" might be more accurate; but "woebegone" wouldn't rhyme, instead we get "Wednesday's child is full of woe"
The whole research into this poem that the person does is amazing and very interesting. 

Anywhooo... I have a project that I'm going to work on today that I think you might like.  I just need to get the stuff and then I'll post (with pics) my project.  Hopefully it will be successful. 

I also have some more "Story Starters" to put into the Idea Depository, so be sure to check them out as well.

Thanks for stopping by to visit!

~Oddyssey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me bring The Saratov Approach around the world!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...