Thursday, June 21, 2012

Peace & Quiet

Another Writing Prompt from Mama Kat

Time for a break! Show us where you go for quiet time.


Quiet time?!  Pppfftttthhh, yeah, right... I can't even pee in peace anymore, since having kids... For some quiet time, I used to just go to my back yard... when I was single and my yard wasn't torn up from the dog(s) and hubby's hobbies (ie motorcycles, four wheelers, lawn mowers, and other miscellaneous crap) and I used to have nice green grass back there.  Now I can't stand to look at it, let alone sit back there for any peace and quiet.


So... where do I go???  Well, if and when I can actually leave the chaos behind, here's where I try to go.  (Or if I can't, here's where I fantasize about going...)


The Beach... I LOVE going to the beach, especially in the early morning.  There's just something so peaceful about it.  The sound of the waves rolling in, the coolness of the morning air (before it turns 2000 degrees here in Florida,) the smell of the ocean and the salt air.... *sigh*


Panera Bread... Ok, call me weird, but this has become one of my new favorite places.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's been around for a while, but we just recently got one in our town and I'd never been to one before.  Yes, I'm out of the loop, but whatever.  I'm there now and that's what matters.  Anyway, I just love this place.  And it's not the food that brings me back... don't get me wrong, the food's great, but it's the atmosphere that gets me.  Especially when it's not really busy.  I love the soft music, the lighting, the seating, etc.  It just makes me feel like I'm on vacation or something.  Maybe because it's new to me, I don't know.  But Panera Bread is one of my Get-Away's.  I've already told my family that if I ever run away during one of my Mommy-Meltdowns, to look for me there first.


Yes, I realize that this is a video game and it doesn't actually exist, but if I can get hubby to take Little Man outside to play and I can get a few minutes of "No One Bother Me" time, then I stick my headphones on and play.  It's great for when I can't leave the house, don't have time to leave the house, or am just plain lazy and just want to sit and relax and forget the world around me.  I get "in-game" and enjoy a world where the Real World and all it's problems don't exist.  Yes, I'm a gamer and I'm proud of it.  Of course, the people I play with in-game don't realize I'm a 42 year old pregnant woman, but that's ok.


Now this wooded area would be nice.  Back when I grew up in Pennsylvania, I used to go hiking in the woods for hours at a time.  It was the most blissful time I've ever had in my life.  I really miss being able to do that.  But down here in Florida, there are too many poisonous bugs and creepy crawlies to be able to do that on a regular basis.  Although, I'd gone hunting with a friend down here before and it was almost as good.  Very nice, very peaceful, but there's just something about the cool mountain air that sets PA apart.  Wish I'd have had a camera back then to take pics while hiking.  There were so many great spots that would have made amazing photos.


5am... Ahhhh, my best chance of escaping for some quiet time.  Puts a whole new meaning to "It's five o'clock somewhere!" for me, anyway.  I come out to my recliner in the living room and do whatever it is that I want.  Usually I get on the computer, but sometimes I'll read or crochet, write or sketch... anything that's a quiet activity.  The rest of the house is asleep and I remain undisturbed for a little while... depending on when Little Man figures out that I'm out here.  But sometimes, I can take him in to snuggle with Daddy and I'll squeeze maybe another hour out of the morning to myself.


So, there you have it.  My escapes.  I'm glad I did this writing prompt.  It was actually quite peaceful just writing about it.  Of course, I've been up writing about it in the wee hours of the morning, but it's made me feel refreshed.  I wonder if I can sneak in a quick drive to the beach.....?

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I remember well when my kids were young and I never peed on my own. I ♥ Panera. It's a great place to chill! Wish we had one nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, everyone I know who's a gamer tells me that it relaxes them, but when I watch them play, they look far from relaxed, haha!

    Stopped in from Mama Kat's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Classic NYer, LOL I know, to see me playing a game, sometimes you'd wonder about me too.

    @ Mimi B, glad I'm not the only one! Hope you get a Panera where you live.

    Thanks all, for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Help me bring The Saratov Approach around the world!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...